DIRECTV Earns Award for Protecting the Environment By Manufacturing Energy-Efficient Products
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (March 6, 2013) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has named DIRECTV as a 2013 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year for its outstanding contribution to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by manufacturing energy-efficient products and for educating consumers about energy efficiency. DIRECTV’s accomplishments will be recognized at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. on March 26.
Since becoming an ENERGY STAR partner in 2009, DIRECTV has made significant contributions to energy efficiency, including:
- More than 40 million receivers, representing more than 95 percent of all DIRECTV receivers purchased since joining the ENERGY STAR program, are ENERGY STAR-qualified.
- Deployed more than 10 million ENERGY STAR-qualified receivers in 2012 alone, which will result in an estimated electricity savings of more than 900 million kilowatt hours each year.
- Delivery of energy savings to millions of set top boxes already in homes by enabling them to automatically go into an energy saving lower power mode when not in use.
- Helping educate millions of Americans about energy efficiency and the ENERGY STAR program through a variety of marketing tactics.
- Launching the innovative Genie™ whole-home HD DVR system, which utilizes a server and thin clients to offer customers substantial energy savings relative to whole-home HD DVR installations introduced only a few years prior.
- Implementing the RVU remote user interface technology (www.rvualliance.org), which drives down energy consumption even further by enabling a receiver-less connection to compatible RVU client devices including many available Smart TV models.
“Environmental stewardship continues to be an important aspect of our business and the actions we all take to conserve energy and reduce waste have an immediate impact,” said Romulo Pontual, executive vice president and CTO of DIRECTV. “When they see the ENERGY STAR mark on their DIRECTV receivers, our customers recognize that they are saving energy and money while continuing to enjoy their high-quality, feature rich DIRECTV service.
“Through their commitment to producing quality energy-efficient ENERGY STAR products, DIRECTV has demonstrated their commitment to saving consumers money and protecting our environment,” said Bob Perciasepe, acting administrator, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. “DIRECTV is recognized today for this outstanding effort that has helped protect the climate for all Americans.”
Over the last 20 years, with help from ENERGY STAR, American families and businesses have saved more than $230 billion on utility bills and prevented more than 1.8 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.
The 2013 Partner of the Year Awards are given to manufacturers and retailers that successfully promote and deliver ENERGY STAR qualified products, saving consumers money and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Award winners are selected from the nearly 20,000 organizations that participate in the ENERGY STAR program.
DIRECTV (NASDAQ: DTV) is one of the world’s leading providers of digital television entertainment services delivering a premium video experience through state-of-the-art technology, unmatched programming and industry leading customer service to more than 35 million customers in the U.S. and Latin America. In the U.S., DIRECTV offers its over 20 million customers access to more than 185 HD channels and Dolby-Digital® 5.1 theater-quality sound, access to exclusive sports programming such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET™, Emmy- award winning technology and higher customer satisfaction than the leading cable companies for 11 years running. DIRECTV Latin America, through its subsidiaries and affiliated companies in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, and other Latin American countries, leads the pay TV category in technology, programming and service, delivering an unrivaled digital television experience to more than 15 million customers. DIRECTV sports and entertainment properties include three Regional Sports Networks (Northwest, Rocky Mountain and Pittsburgh) as well as a 42 percent interest in Game Show Network. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit www.directv.com. For more information about Corporate Citizenship at DIRECTV, please visit www.directv.com/CorporateCitizenship.
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR was introduced by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 1992 as a voluntary market-based partnership to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through increased energy efficiency. Today, ENERGY STAR offers businesses and consumers energy-efficient solutions to save energy, money, and help protect the environment for future generations. Nearly 20,000 organizations are ENERGY STAR partners committed to improving the energy efficiency of products, homes, and buildings. For more information about ENERGY STAR, visit www.energystar.gov or call toll-free 1-888-STAR-YES (1-888-782-7937).